Monday 16 March 2009

The Courtship Ritual of Spiders


In the context of Biomimicry I am drawing inspiration from Spiders more precisely their courtship Ritual.
To sum it up, the male spider needs to signify to the female spider that he is a mate and not a meal! The female is bigger in size to the male and has a predatory instincts, yes she has lived to eat and has no feelings!
Poor male has to perform a dance, to show off to her that he is the best male she will ever find, he not only performs a very cute dance but also sings a song which translates through vibrations of his abdomen. I have heard the sound and it builds up gradually to a crescendo point, very impressive.
While he is doing all that the female watches and will decide whether he will be her mate or her meal!
If she accepts him as a mate she will signify to the male through a set of vibrations, which will then encourage the male to hop on the female.

Its fascinating such small creatures have such an elaborate yet simple way of communicating.

Now I need to get cracking on my smart sustainable woven fabric creation. If some have taken three years to develop a smart woven fabric how am I going to do that in three weeks?

1 comment:

Francisco Castelo Branco said...

Nice blog yours

Im in London ...

I have a blog also, the address is www.olhardireito.blogspot.com

I have translate google tool

but soon i will write in English

Please take a look!

I will add you to my favorites. I have facebook to

Squidee will light differently according to where you stand

Squidee will light differently according to where you stand
©clementinedebos 2009

Creative Pattern Re-Cipe

Creative Pattern Re-Cipe
Tarpaulin Embellished ©clementinedebos 2009

Creative Pattern Re-Cipe

Creative Pattern Re-Cipe
Tarpaulin Embellished ©clementinedebos 2009